How Do Bloggers Make Use of Images?

January29
copyrights versus copy and paste

copyrights versus copy and paste

Images are very important for blog posts for making them more interesting and appealing and many bloggers choose to communicate ideas through pictures. When I was watching others bloggers use visual images I learned that there are some very nice resources that raise awareness about copy rights and creative commons. I came across a very nice video about Creative Commons in Hey Jude’s blog and there were 3 more YouTube Videos in Tabitha’s blog; Copy Rights, What’s Copy rights? , A Fair(y) Use Tale , and Creative Commons, Get Creative.

In addition to awareness raising information regarding copyrights, I learned that there is a wide variety of reosucres that could be used to copy images, sounds and videos. For instance Dorene Bates shared some creative commons information in her Diigo account(s); one of them is here and click here to see the other . In Selig’s blog in addition to pictures, some resources for cliparts, videos, photos and sounds are suggested.

When I reflect on copyrights I observe that there are many resources that can make our lives easy. However I also observe that there is a resistance. There  may be many reasons behind it. After reading baout what some other bloggers think& feel about the issue, the remains of the day are couple of questions that Scott Duncan asked on his blog including:

• “Do you think this is somthing the majority of teachers are aware about ? How can we spread the word ?
  • Do you know of any good online activities\lessons\resources that would teach students about copyright and creative commons ?”

Photo by HjConti released under a Creative Commons 2.0 Generic License

4 Comments to

“How Do Bloggers Make Use of Images?”

1. January 29th, 2011 at 11:25 pm       Britt Gow Says:

Thanks for participating in the Teacher’s Blogging Challenge and sharing these resources about copyright and creative commons, Asli. One thing that I am really enjoying about the challenge is reading the different perspectives of teachers from all over the world. What are the main obstacles for teachers using technology in your country? What percentage of teachers have embraced blogging as you have here?
    Keep up the great work!

2. January 30th, 2011 at 12:40 pm       aslisaglam Says:

I think that my counrty is ina transition period towards technology blended teaching learning environment. I believe that this change will be faster and more widespread when certain curriulum goals and objectives as well as instructional goals and objectives are integrated into national curriculum. Some schools here have language labs, wireless internet in campus, smart boards and some schools (especailly i big cities) work with course management systems like Moddle and Sakai. But some other schools do not have such facilities due to a variety of reasons. However I believe that the “people” factor far outweights the physical setting and most successful inovations in schools are triggered by independently motivated mavericks on the school staff. So, percentage of teachers blogging is not very high but it is on the rise. Lots of love.

3. January 31st, 2011 at 2:27 am       Michael Grether Says:

Thank you for the links to the copyright information. It is important in the information age to remember that everything was created by a person who deserves proper credit and compensation (when appropriate) for their efforts.

4. February 1st, 2011 at 5:12 am       Louise Mason Says:

Hi Asli! I have read ‘About Me’ and your post about making use of images. You sound like a very busy lady, and I am wondering how you find the time to visit and investigate so many sites!!I, too, am loving this Teacher Challenge (the more I get into it) and the possibilities are limitless. However, I am struggling with finding enough time to explore the volume of options in the Challenge activities. My work involves writing resources for teachers, and also teaching part of a postgraduate program. It’s very practically-oriented, and classroom-based, and I am looking forward to making my blog operational for ongoing teacher support.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Posts of the Week – Visit these blogs- Weeks 3/4 | Teacher Challenge

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

subscribe for free

e-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Clustr Maps

Forthcoming ELT Events

Let’s meet on Twitter

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

aslisaglam

Hello, welcome to my world! Nice to meet you :)

I would like to share some more information about myself. I am Aslı Saglam. I am an English language teacher and I have been teaching English for more than 12 years now. I worked at preparatory schools of some major Turkish universities as English language instructor. Teaching has taught me a lot about myself, other people and the world. I love teaching a lot (like the way Gollum loves the ring ) and I want to share my reflections about teaching in this blog.

Welcome to my world!

Who am I?

My name is Aslı and I am a wife, mother, teacher, sister, daughter, friend, world citizen and a life-long learner (in no specific order). I have M.A and B.A in English Language Teaching from Middle East Technical University and right now I am pursuing my Ph.D. I have been teaching English as a foreign language in Turkey for more than 13 years now. I worked at major Turkish Universities including Bilkent, Bilgi, and Bahcesehir University. Right now, I am working at Ozyegin University, Istanbul Turkey. The best part of my job is that I am working with excellent colleagues and friends.

I am particularly interested in curriulumand instructional design, testing and ICT. I am quite new to blogging. Previously I took an ICT course from The Consultants-E and right now I am following The Teacher Challange in Blogging (and I am loving it!!). Thanks to blogging and other bloggers, I can get to know great many possibilities of making teaching & learning much more efficient and fun. Other passions and interests cover windsurfing, reading and photography.