ELT'oSpHere

Aslı Saglam's Blog about CPD in ELT

Six Impossible Things that Teachers Do

January24

Six Impossible Things that ELT Teachers Do

In “Alice in Wonderland” one of the best scenes is when Alice talks about “the six impossible things” to gain her strength when she faces her biggest challenge (a fierce fight with Jabberwocky)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhzLsBpIj84

Don’t you have some difficult and challenging moments in the classroom when you need to stay focused to cope with them? I do.

So, I decided to make my own list of six impossible things that teachers do to aid me in those moments.

1. Identify the needs, interests, language difficulties (L2 learners of English lack basic interactional competencies) and learning styles of the students and cater for these.
  2. Select, introduce and exploit suitable materials for improvement of language (not only
    to be used in class but also for out)
  3. Assess progress of the individual students and the whole class
  4. Keep affective filters down by fostering positive group dynamics (cooperation, mutual respect, confidence…etc.)
  5. Encourage students to be life-long learners and take responsibility of their own learning.
  6. Help students develop learning strategies.

What do you think? Don’t we make the impossible happen? What else are there that you would like to add to the list suggested
above?

In “Tasks for Language Teachers” Parrott (2006,np.30) outlined roles of teachers as diagnostician, planner, manager and
provider. I would like to suggest one more: The Miracle  Maker

3 Comments to

“Six Impossible Things that Teachers Do”

1. January 30th, 2012 at 4:21 pm       peteksirin Says:

Hi Aslı,

I definetely agree with you on # 5 and 6 which are basically the products of our education system in Turkey, but why do you think fostering positive group dynamics is on your mission impossible list? I strongly believe you’re one of those teachers who could truly manage this very well. You’re being way too picky on yourself 🙂

2. March 8th, 2012 at 7:40 pm       aslisaglam Says:

Dear Petek,
    I was delighted to read a comment from a colleague like you who would never ever experience any difficulty to maintain a positive atmosphere and efficient group dynamics (I really beleiev in this seeing the warm relation you have with your students ). Thanks a lot for your kind words. Between you and me, how do you establish this positive class atmosphere? Please share your methods 🙂

3. March 8th, 2012 at 7:45 pm       aslisaglam Says:

Dear Petek,
    Thanks a lot for your kind words. I know it took me sometime to reply your comment (apologies)
    I am delighted to read such comments from a colleague like you who would never ever live any problems related to having efficient group dynamics in class. Between you and me, having observed the warm relationship you have with your students,I am very curious; How do you establish such a positive class environment ? I really hope that you would share some of your techniques…
    Lots of love, asli

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

subscribe for free

e-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Clustr Maps

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
new TWTR.Widget({ version: 2, type: 'profile', rpp: 4, interval: 30000, width: 250, height: 300, theme: { shell: { background: '#333333', color: '#ffffff' }, tweets: { background: '#000000', color: '#ffffff', links: '#4aed05' } }, features: { scrollbar: false, loop: false, live: false, behavior: 'all' } }).render().setUser('aslilidice').start();

Twitter Feed

!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");

The EduBlog Awards 2014 Finalist

The EduBlog Awards 2014 Finalist

iMoot15_Attendee

iMoot15_Attendee

GEC 2014 Presenter

GEC 2014 Presenter

Skip to toolbar