ELT'oSpHere

Aslı Saglam's Blog about CPD in ELT

Q & A with Participants of IATEFL Forum on Blogging

March31

How can blogging support teacher development? 

Barbara Chamberlin, Angela Pickering and Paul Slater from The University of Brighton, Aysegul Salli from Eastern Mediterranean University and myself are intrigued by this question and we will explore affordances of academic blogging as a reflective tool in teachers’ professional development in a Forum on Blogging in IATEFL 2015 Convention in Manchester.

This will be the first time that I will participate in a Forum in IATEFL and I am looking forward to it. We will meet our audience- colleagues- friends on 13 April Monday at 17:25- 18:30 in Central 7.

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 31 10.46

There will be three 15 minute presentations focusing on variety of aspects of blogging regarding; blogging and CPD of in-service English language teachers, teachers’ perspectives on the blogging process that is embedded in a teacher training program and pre-service teachers’ construction of teacher identities via blogging. In short, as presenters in IATEFL Forum will explore blogging for teacher development from a variety of perspectives in diverse educational contexts.

We are looking forward to meeting you at IATEFL 2015 in Manchester and exchanging ideas. Presentations will be followed with a group question and answer slot at the end and we really do hope that you join us.

Question & Answer with the Forum Presenters

Aysegul Sallı

aysegul1. Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I have been working as a teacher of English at Eastern Mediterranean University since 1998. I have worked in the Department of English Language Teaching and English Preparatory School. I have also been working in the Teacher Training and development unit. I am a PhD candidate and planning to submit my dissertation by the end of this semester.

2. What are the main points that will be covered in your presentation in IATEFL?

At the IATEFL conference, my presentation will focus on the use of blogs and their contribution to the construction of teacher identities of pre-service English teachers.

3. Why are you interested in the area you’ll be presenting on?

I am very much interested in teacher identity and learning technologies. I attempted to merge these topics in my PhD research. I am curious how teacher candidates construct their teacher identities. The involved in this process are attracting my attention. My presentation involves a small part of my research. I am excited to share it on an international platform.

4. How might participants benefit from your session?

Well, I presume the participants will hear some theories about teacher identities and previous studies. They will have ideas about my research context and the results I gathered. I think they may be inspired to investigate whether using online tools really contribute to construction of teacher identities.

5. Can we find you on social media?

I am on social media, though I do not consider myself a frequent user. I am on twitter as @aysegul and on facebook as aysegul salli. I have a blog which has been inactive for a couple years. I think it is high time that I started to actively post on my blog.

Barbara Chamberlin

Barbara Chamberlin1. Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I am a senior lecturer at the University of Brighton and the Course Leader for the postgraduate Diploma in TESOL. My teaching is largely teacher education on undergraduate and postgraduate courses, and I also contribute to modules on English Language. I am also the module leader on a module that teaches the reading and analysis of graphic novels and comics.

Developments that have taken place on the Diploma in TESOL at the University of Brighton regarding teacher reflection and the use of technology, focusing on blogs as a mode for capturing reflection. Focus will be given to the voices of those who have finished the course or who are currently on the course, collected through focus groups and interviews.

Reflection is not only key to the Diploma, but crucial in terms of ongoing teacher development, therefore questions surrounding the reflective process, ways of capturing this reflection and embedding reflection for ongoing professional development are very important. The changes we have made already have had an impact from my / our tutor perspectives, and we wanted to explore the perceived impact from the teachers’ point of view.

It may be useful to get a sense of how technologies are being used in our Diploma and see how teachers on this course experience and perceive both reflection and the use of technology.

Asli Saglam

KHV_61621. Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I am the owner of this blog, mother of two, an ELT teacher and a PhD candidate.

My presentation will focus on how keeping an academic blog contributed to my professional development.

I think that being a part of a teacher is being a life-long learner. Therefore CPD gains a significant importance. I really think that blogging-as a reflective activity has great potential.

I think that the best part of the conferences is interaction between educators from all around the world. I am hoping that discussing my case- my adventure in blogging will bring about discussion into potential of using blogging in support of teacher development. I also hope that might inspire my colleagues to consider blogging as a transformative way of teacher development.

5. Can we find you on social media?

My twitter handle is @aslilidice and on facebook you can find me as Asli Lidice Gokturk Saglam

Wishing everyone a happy, fulfilling and enriching IATEFL experience. Hoping to learn with and from you.

by posted under conferences | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

subscribe for free

e-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Clustr Maps

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Twitter Feed

The EduBlog Awards 2014 Finalist

The EduBlog Awards 2014 Finalist

iMoot15_Attendee

iMoot15_Attendee

GEC 2014 Presenter

GEC 2014 Presenter

Skip to toolbar